Win2k3 -> Win2k8 Upgrade Broke MSMQ - Can't Reinstall
mhetherington
2009-01-09 14:22:08 UTC
After upgrading a Windows Server 2003 box to Server 2008, the existing MSMQ
installation became corrupt in some way.

The Message Queuing Service was running after the upgrade, and Message
Queuing Components appeared installed in Programs and Features. However,
errors in the Event Log indicated trouble starting the admin queue(s). Also,
programs dependent on Message Queuing failed to start indicating Message
Queuing was not installed.

In an attempt to remove/reinstall Message Queuing, I removed the Message
Queuing components. However, I am now unable to reinstall them. I get the
following error when trying to install only the Message Queuing Server
component alone:

"Attempt to install Message Queuing Server failed with error code
0x80070643. Fatal error during installation"

Looking at the ServerManager.log doesn't shed any light to me. Event Viewer
doesn't appear to helpful either. Anyone else come across this issue and/or
have any ideas for troubleshooting/resolving?
mhetherington
2009-01-09 14:46:00 UTC
This problem was resolved by deleting the MSMQ Key from the registry.

Not sure why this was necessary. I upgraded a different Win2k3 box that had
MSMQ previously installed and it was fine after the upgrade. There was a
difference in that the box where MSMQ failed post-upgrade had custom
locations specified for the storage paths (whereas the upgrade that was
successful had all MSMQ storage in the default location on C:). Perhaps
having the custom paths messed up the upgrade process?

On a side note, changing the custom paths back to the default in the
registry did not fix the problem, only deleting the entire MSMQ key allowed
me to reinstall MSMQ with success.
Frank Boyne
2009-01-12 01:06:55 UTC
Post by mhetherington
This problem was resolved by deleting the MSMQ Key from the registry.
Speculating wildly: is it possible theMSMQ key had some custom
permissions asigned to it? Perhaps permissions that interfered with
Windows Update running correctly?
Post by mhetherington
Post by mhetherington
"Attempt to install Message Queuing Server failed with error code
0x80070643. Fatal error during installation"
<soapbox><whine>How annoying is it to get an error that basically tells
you "something bad happened"? Rather than telling us that a fatal error
occurred, how about telling us _what_ the fatal error was and what the
context of the failure was (what securable object was involved if it is
a permissions error, what file was involved if it is a missing file
error etc.)</whine></soapbox>