Directory Integration fails
Roger Halbheer
2009-02-20 13:48:01 UTC
Hi All,
Sorry if this is an FAQ but I use MSMQ not too often. I ran into the
following problem:
I am running a Windows Server 2008 (native) domain environment. Now I need
MSMQ in domain mode on one of my member servers. After installing it
including the directory integration, I get the error event 2164 “The Message
Queuing service will not join the <domain> domain. An MSMQ Configuration
(msmq) object exists in the new domain with an ID differing from the service
ID. Please delete the MSMQ Configuration object in the new domain, restart
the Message Queuing service, and log on again.” This server was set up
completely new, I even deleted the old server object in AD. I looked at the
event description on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773660.aspx
but this does not really help me much.
I then tried to install MSMQ on the DC but run into the same problem.

Now, I am completely lost. Is there anybody out there who can help me?
Thank you
Roger
Frank Boyne
2009-02-22 02:55:02 UTC
I get the error event 2164 "The Message
Queuing service will not join the <domain> domain. An MSMQ
Configuration
(msmq) object exists in the new domain with an ID differing from the service
ID.
In Domain mode, MSMQ stores various bits of configuration data within
the Active Directory. This data is used to translate path names into
format names and is used when searching for public queues (amongst other
things). This error is telling you there are MSMQ objects within the AD
that don't match the system you are trying to add.

Since creating the objects for your computer would conflict with the
existing objects (possibly breaking MSMQ on some other computer) the
MSMQ setup fails.
This server was set up
completely new, I even deleted the old server object in AD.
It may be completely new but it somehow conflicts with some previous
system. Perhaps you are re-using a host name? Or perhaps you are using
a cloned disk image to create multiple servers? Deleting the old server
object may not be enough. The MSMQ data is stored in separate MSMQ AD
objects that are associated with the server objct indirectly. It may be
that deleting the server object also deletes associated MSMQ objects --
but given your experiences I suspect not.
I looked at the
event description on
but this does not really help me much.
Did you try the various procedures under "Remove stale Active Directory
Objects"? In particular the "Delete stale computer objects" step.
Don't assume that deleting the server object cleaned up the MSMQ objects
as well, you need to actually go look for them and delete them
individually.
I then tried to install MSMQ on the DC but run into the same problem.
So two completely different computers have suffered from the "objects
exist" problem? That would seem to point to some more general problem
and not just stale objects from a previous system with the same name.
Are you using Ghost or some other tool to clone disk images?